Saturday, July 25, 2009

One last though...

Yesterday We were walking around Southgate Mall looking for jobs.(Not much luck their, got a lot of dirty looks, I think it's because I look like I'm 15 or so...)

Anyways, I've been reading No Impact Man every chance I can get lately and one of his big things is that the government wants you to spend your money just to throw most of that stuff out and get new stuff. This "cycle" is very well illustrated here as well. I LOVE that video.

So back to my story, we were walking around the mall looking for those wonderful 2 little words "Help wanted" and I was just reading every sign that was up, just in case you know. One sign actually said "The more time and money you spend with us, the more points you get for the rewards you want" I saw a few other signs that had the same gist to them, but this one was so blatant. It should have just said "Hi, we are selling happiness. Come spend lots of money to get some."

Just something I noticed and wanted to share.

2 comments:

Eco Yogini said...

I just found you through your comment at Crunchy Chicken (woo Canadians!).

I strongly believe that Sears, the Bay and all those other crazy- "get our credit card for points" stores are set up so that you can't find the exit... and will have more of a chance impulse buying something.

it creeps me out. lol.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic post & great point! I like how you have expressed your disgust with the entire capitalist system so succinctly. Once you start seeing the world through this kind of lens, it's pretty hard to keep participating . . .